This is a great dish to make when you are partying with friends on a hot summer night. The shrimp is wildly smoky and spicy and the salad is cooling, but with has a rockin’ kick!
For the Shrimp:
- 1 cup silver tequila
- 1 cup freshly squeezed citrus juices (1 each orange, lemon, and lime)
- 1/4 cup fresh peeled ginger, finely minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 Brother Bru Bru’s Original African Hot Sauce (depends on the level of spice desired)
- 1/2 cup light cooking oil (such as canola or vegetable)
- 1 pound large shrimp, shells on (devined)
- Wooden Skewers
Combine tequila, juices, ginger, garlic, jalapeno, and Brother Bru Bru’s, in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil to create an emulsion. Add the shrimp and allow to marinade for 45-60 minutes. Soak skewers for at least 45 minutes.
Pre-heat grill on high. When pre-heated, turn the heat down to medium high. Place the skewered shrimp on the hot grill and cook until the shells are slightly blackened.
While the shrimp are cooking, put the marinade into a small sauce pan and heat over medium high heat until reduced (about ten minutes).
Once shrimp is done, transfer skewers to a platter and pour reduced marinade over top. (Alternatively you can leave it on the side for dipping).
Serve with yellow saffron rice.
For the Salad:
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 shots of tequila
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon of orange liquor
- 1 cup watermelon
- 1 cup cantalope
- 1 cup honeydew
- 1 cup grapefruit sections
- 1 cup rocket (or arugla)
- 1/2 cup each assorted herbs of your choice (I used pineapple mint, cilantro, and lime basil, but you can use what ever you have in your garden or can find at your local market. It is really up to your tastes)
Combine all ingredients, cover and marinade in the refrigerator until ready to serve.